Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Here we go again.

My mum... she's great in that she's more open-minded than other mums. BUT like most Singaporean mums she's susceptible to influence from other people. Last night she came to me and asked whether I was truly serious about studying fine art. Why? Because some colleague of hers questioned the practicality of it. I thought we'd been through this before. A few years ago my declaration that I wanted to study design put her into a nervous panic. She's come to be accepting and supportive of my decision, however. My brother too, who initially assumed it to be an impractical whim of mine, has proven to be one of my strongest supporters. The truth is, I've known since rather long ago that I want to study fine art or design; I don't mind either of the two. It's just others who can't come to terms with it. Sometimes I get so tired that I feel like caving in. But I don't want to do that because it means giving up everything I've fought for. Besides, the repercussions of any decision my parents make for me will be felt by ME not them. If my mum is looking for a guarantee of my future happiness, she's going about it the wrong way. No one can give such a guarantee, no matter what course I take or what career I choose.

No comments: