Thursday, July 9, 2009

Semi-abstract



I've posted some of Francis Bacon's figurative paintings before, but none of this type. I'm not sure how to classify them- they definitely contain representational elements, but are not realistic in the truest sense of the word so I'd settle for the term semi-abstract. I often struggle in describing works for art critiscism because I feel that I'm not paying full homage to the spirit of the piece. I think the paintings above are much about exploring composition and colour. When I think of Bacon, I always remember the combination of orange and pink (used in Dries Van Noten's Fall 09 collection) and the rosy hues of raw, dripping flesh.
I finished The Kite Runner or at least as much of it as I could bear to read. Some parts are too excruciating, not in terms of writing but the subject matter- violence, betrayal etc. I like to believe the best of human nature so when someone starts being horrible I turn the page. The idea espoused by The Kite Runner, that our lives are shaped by violent external forces as well as our own terrible impulses, strangely applies to Bacon's paintings as well. I get the same feeling for both- a sense of terrible beauty, repulsiveness, but at the same time a weird fascination and inability to look away.
My mum doesn't understand why people would want to create monsters. When I showed her Bacon's work, she exclaimed, "Why would anyone want to paint like that?!" To her, art is about rosy pictures where everything is serene and beautiful. She's confusing monsters with monstrosities. Sometimes I wonder where I inherited my taste and appreciation for things like art, literature and philosophy from. That my mum doesn't read novels at all and has never studied literature before is a wonder to me. Instead her bookshelves are filled with finance-related books and other technical stuff. It makes me feel a little lonely at times, when members of my family discuss the stock market at the dinner table. I must really seem like a wild child to them.

No comments: