Tuesday, July 28, 2009

'Goth'- pen and watercolour


I like the stylized drips and spidery lines on this one. It has a gothic look with a feminine touch.

I was checking out the trailer of the upcoming Sherlock Holmes movie (I'm a closet fan of the stories). Don't think I know anyone in my circle who reads Sherlock Holmes though, except for my sis who loves it as much as I do. I must say, the movie seems to have a very different feel from the stories, though the costumes and sets are quite convincing. Much of it has to do with the casting, which I find surprising. Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes and Jude Law as Doctor Watson? Never would have thought of that. I'm unfamiliar with the former's acting, but my friend assures me that he's a brilliant actor. He better be, because I wouldn't want to lose Holmes' distinctive character and idiosyncracies to the adaptation process.

On another note, why is Irene Adler (played by Rachel McAdams) dressed like some kind of high-class hooker in the trailer? I envisioned her as a beautiful, elegant lady and not a seductive vixen. Hmm. I know Holmes is fascinated by her in one of the stories, but I really don't think he'd go so far as to have a romantic interest in her, considering his suspicion of and general aversion to women.

Seems like the movie plot isn't from the series, as I see some unfamiliar character names like 'Lord Blackwood' who I assume is the main villain. I guess the purpose of the reinvention is to appeal to a wider audience; to make it more 'Hollywood', if you will. A straightforward adaptation might be too staid, given the era in which the series was written. I'm sufficiently intrigued by the trailer to give it a go. At least I'd have something to look forward to at the end of this year. Good to know that the stories are still alive in some people's memories, and not just collecting dust on a shelf somewhere. A movie adaptation might very well generate interest in the series among the younger generation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i like the 'bleeding' ink, too.