Monday, July 13, 2009

America

Eggleston Trust

In a little more than a month's time I'll be on a plane headed for Los Angeles. I'm not sure what to feel about it. Excited and relieved, I guess, and also scared. I can't explain why I'm doing this; I just feel like that's where I need to be right now. I always try to listen to my heart and not overanalyze things.
That being said, I need to plan the itinerary for a week-long trip as my mum's coming with me. We're probably going to get around using the Metro. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to visit (sights, shopping, dining, etc.)? Of course, I'd love places to do with art, fashion, architecture (for mum) and culture. We have pretty adventurous taste buds as well. I'm thinking of the Getty Center and Kate Spade and Coach stores for mum (apparently the bags are cheaper there than in Singapore). Any suggestions will be appreciated.

3 comments:

Miranda said...

You've probably left Los Angeles already (or not?), but there are quite a few places you can go.

Obviously, you have the fashion district, LACMA, The Getty, Olvera St., The Grove, etc., but you should also try exploring the outer areas of the city. You could visit old town Pasadena, which is like 10 min. from downtown. There's the Fairfax farmer's market, the Griffith Observatory, and the Huntington Library as well.

And if you are visiting southern California, I would most definitely go along the coast. Take the Pacific Coast highway or the 101 and enjoy the views. You can go the boardwalk in Venice, walk around Manhattan Beach (which is a beautiful, clean beach), there's Redondo, Hermosa, Santa Monica, Huntington...

You can visit different neighborhoods of LA too. Like Los Feliz (pronounced like fee-lez), Silver Lake, San Pedro (like pee-droh), Hollywood, and Tolouca Lake (lots of celebrities live there. LOTS!).

There's tons of venues to see shows also. Like the Troubadour, El Rey, the Henry Fonda Theater, and the Disney Concert Hall.

You could visit college campuses like UCLA or USC.

For eating, you can hit up Pink's, The Oinkster in Eagle Rock. There are plenty of great restaurants. Pasadena I know has quite a few just in downtown.

Wow, that was a lot. Hope I helped!

Me said...

Thanks so much! As a matter of fact I haven't gone yet. Will be going in a month's time so this info is really useful.

Miranda said...

Ok that's great! And if you figure out what to do or where to go, try going on Yelp.com. It should help you weed out the things you should avoid and know what to expect.