Wednesday, March 18, 2009



-------------------------------------------------------
"The smoky smell of a barbecue
Streams towards me.
I catch a flake of ash on my tongue.
It left a bittersweet taste-
The remains of yesteryear."
-------------------------------------------------------

I used to compose poetry and this was one of them. I guess it could be what Kim calls a 'snapshot' poem or an impressionistic one. It was based on a seemingly trivial feeling I had when walking home one day. I think poetry has a wonderful ability to probe beneath the surface of events and experiences and reveal the magic in everyday life. Poems about grand events like war are all nice and well, but it's often those reveling in small, intimate details that capture my heart. I love how words can be combined to create an entirely new meaning, sensation and experience. Language is a most fascinating human invention. Perhaps I should take up my pen again.

No comments: