Monday, March 9, 2009

Hair that's not just THERE

I always wondered why the subjects of Japanese streetstyle photos perpetually look like the epitome of coolness. There's something I can't quite put a finger on, that makes their look 'work'. What's the 'essence' of their style and aura? Of course, style can't be so easily distilled, but after close inspection I found a common thread in many of them- the use of hair as an accessory.

Perhaps this discovery seems trivial- of course people style their hair to create a certain image and vibe! However, few do it to the extent of the Japanese, who treat hair as a versatile accessory that can make or break a look. These photos will demonstrate what I mean.







Pictures from Drop Snap

I could go on and on about how their hair is PERFECT for their looks (schoolgirl plaits! mop-top hair! severe bob!). Note: it's not just the girls, the guys are doing it with aplomb as well. Curly or straight, shaggy or sleek, long or drastically short, the Japanese are extremely experimental when it comes to playing with hair cut, texture and COLOUR. I've never seen such a dazzling array of hair colours on the streets of Singapore- dirty blonde, platinum blonde, grey, jet black, blue-black, blue, brown, purple, pink, etc. I especially love the hair with streaks of pink and purple at the ends (bottom left photo). I think it's brilliant and goes with her outfit wonderfully, especially her dress with dyed effects and the drool-worthy Miu Miu dragonfly heels.

And of course, fashion shows often feature avant-garde hairstyles to generate a strong mood and vision and an otherworldly feel. Again, Japanese designers like Commes des Garcons are often the most outrageous and wacky when it comes to hairstyling.


Is it wrong that I feel a strong urge to put some streaks of temporary dye in my hair right now?

No comments: