Monday, March 23, 2009

I am currently bogged down with writing essays for local university scholarship applications. How mundane. My release comes at night when I dream of studying fashion design in the US. I see a tiny ray of hope, an inch of possibility, but I'm too afraid of wishing for too much lest I get disappointed and heartbroken later. I've been perusing the guidebook and Otis sounds like a really great school. I found myself agreeing with everything that's written there. I think the environment will suit me. I also feel that I'd like Rhode Island School of Design. Hope they'd offer me a place there as well.

It was a little hard for me when my A-Level results first came out, as my delight with my results was marred by the fact that two of my art classmates got a thoroughly undeserved C. I've heard people express opinions about how art should not be graded, but I was always ok with it because I trusted the judgement of the examiners. Now I deeply feel that it is unfair to subject us to the official tastes of a select group of people. Mind, I do not actually know what the examiners are like, and I hope I'm not doing them an injustice by writing this. But the fact is that those two projects definitely did not deserve such a grade, and poorer ones actually scored better than them. That's really skewed. I guess this experience just goes to show that art, at least at the school level, is not without its institutions.

But you know what? All this wouldn't matter at all in the art world. I really think there's a cavernous gap between institutionalised art education and the real-life situation. The art world is crazy. That's the best word to describe it. Dealers and collecters can go into bidding frenzies for strange works of art that would definitely have failed Cambridge's standards. Jeff Koons' works are a great example. Amateurs can be catapulted into fame, and technically-superb ones can fail to receive attention. Usually, though, some artists' genius is so undeniable that the art world can hardly fail to accord them the admiration, respect and perhaps fawning adoration that they deserve.

In any field, genius is genius. No skewed opinion can stop it.

No comments: