Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I reached home feeling drained today and unexpectedly it was my mum who opened the door. This simple act conjured a strange feeling in me that I can't a put a name to. It felt both unfamiliar and nostalgic. You see, I can't remember the last time my mum greeted me at the door. The fact is that with her long working hours she always reached home much later than me. I've been so caught up with schoolwork that I'd forgotten that she was returning from her week-long business trip today. Only when I saw her did I realise that I'd missed her. I'd missed the smart, pretty mum, who despite her age appears much more youthful and energetic than many of the mums younger than her. In other words, a total contrast to the sour-faced women I sometimes encounter on the bus who seem to be nursing a grudge against the entire world. Chatting with her about her work, I also realised that my current workload is NOTHING compared to hers. I think the most important thing I've learned from my mum is her zest for life, which is what keeps one young.

No comments: