Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My aunt called from Malaysia the other day. While we were chatting the topic of boyfriends came up. I told her I didn't have one. She told me my mum started dating my dad when she was 19, which got me thinking.

I really have no idea how people start dating. I mean, do you just go up to someone you like and ask them? How do you know you like someone? Argh. It's just so much easier not to get involved in the dating game. I have my reservations about this thing called love. Whenever I visit this aunt of mine, I find that I like to just quietly observe her and my uncle. They've been married for years but they still appear to be a loving couple in a subtle way and very comfortable with each other. I find myself wishing for a marriage like theirs. I see in them something I never saw in my parents relationship. My mum once said to me when people change and the romance is gone, it's hard to continue loving someone. This is coming from someone who dated her husband for 8 years before marrying him. She tells me now that the most important thing is to find someone with good qualities and love can come later.

No comments: