Thursday, June 25, 2009

OCD

Stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (Duh). I read about it in today's issue of The Straits Times' Mind Your Body.

Me to sis: (looking up from newspaper) I think you have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Sis: Huh? (at the randomness of the subject and my use of an overly clinical term)

Me: This case study here involves a guy who goes through personal grooming rituals in the bathroom that last for hours every day. Just like you!

Sis: (indignant) I don't spend hours in the bathroom!

Me: Oh yes you do. Or at least you irritate fellow family members with your bathroom hogging like this guy does.

Sis: I DON'T have OCD!

Me: (wisely) Denial is a common reaction.

So it's official. Both me and my sis suffer from mild OCD. In my case it takes the form of frequent rinsing of my feet throughout the day to remove dirt.

In modern life it seems that every character trait can be analyzed and diagnosed. So many clinical terms for just about anything you could think of. It somehow makes one feel better and more in control of the situation if one knows the names.

No comments: