Saturday, November 8, 2008

It's just been two weeks or so since I last blogged but already it seems as though the world has changed in indefinable ways for me and for everyone. Firstly, Obama has been elected president! I've been following his actions with keen interest for the past two years and it's immensely gratifying to see him finally elected. His story has been a great inspiration to me and I feel like I share many of his values. Hopefully he'll make a good president, one that can make the world a better place for all of us.

A few days before my A levels started I received news of my grandpa's stroke, which frankly came as a shock to me. My grandpa has always seemed hale and hearty and still works despite his advanced age, holding a senior position in a firm (related to real estate and construction I believe). To tell the truth, I had prepared myself mentally for the possibility of going to Malaysia to visit him if his condition deteriorated, even at the cost of missing an exam, but thankfully for him it never came to that. His stroke was an event which changed my world as well, though I can't exactly say how. I think it forced me to reevaluate my relationships with the people around me.

I don't know if others feel the same way, but things seemed to go on for very long without much change in the past, when I was a child. Or perhaps as a child you exist in your own idyllic bubble, shielded from the reality of the external world. The district I live in, Bishan, stayed the same for many years but is barely recognisable now. In the same way I've come to take my grandpa's existence for granted. Now the world can be irreversibly redefined in a single day, by a major event like the financial crisis.

This makes me feel slightly nostalgic for the days that have gone by, when everything seemed so calm and peaceful.

No comments: