Saturday, August 8, 2009

"I've crossed the deserts for miles
Swam water for time
Searching places to find
A piece of something to call mine...'

--- Lyrics of Pure Shores by All Saints


I've been listening to Pure Shores and Moby's Porcelain from the movie soundtrack of The Beach recently. The funny thing is that I'd liked these two songs before I found out they were both part of the soundtrack. I like ambient forms of music hence my appreciation for jazz, lounge, and songs like Coldplay's Clocks and Spandeau Ballet's True.

I must say, The Beach has grown on me with each reading and it's one of my favourite books now. Though edgier than what I normally read, it has opened my eyes to a new literary genre. I like how one critic described it as 'imaginative travel writing'.

I've always known that I'd write a novel sometime in my life. It may sound presumptuous, but I often have a strong instinct for things which I find hard to explain to others. Writing a novel sounds easier than what it really is, though. I've filed away numerous story ideas, but everytime I try to realize one of them I get stuck. I guess in any creative endeavour there's always the fear and dread of the 'block'. Besides, I can't stand any distraction when I'm writing so I think I'd have to escape to an island in Greece one day to write my book.

The reason I'm saying this is that yesterday, a new idea for a plot occurred to me as I was daydreaming in bed. Hopefully something substantial comes out of it this time.

2 comments:

SC said...

hopefully something does.

Anonymous said...

YOU HAVE A LOT OF THE BLOGS?