Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Watched the Hana Yori Dango movie today. Definitely not as nice as the drama series! So this is a post about my favourite Japanese drama serials, which include Hana Yori Dango, Love Generation, Nodame Cantabile, and Gokusen.

Hana Yori Dango

What makes this series so impactful for me are its compelling central characters, Makino and Doumyouji. I love the second season more than the first because of the sadness prevalent in it and the strong mood of some scenes. It has some memorable songs too.

Favourite moments/classic scenes: Makino punching Doumyouji, their kiss at the end of season 1, the "suki jiro" moment, the scene in the rain outside Doumyouji's house in season 2, Doumyouji returning the necklace to Makino after saving her from the snow, and many others.

Love Generation

Not many people may know about this drama because it is relatively old. I like it because it feels very real and the setting in Tokyo gives it a very distinctive feel. The soundtrack is wonderful.

Favourite moments/classic scenes: Riko performing the magic show for Teppei ("Shya lalalalala..."), the night scene where she falls off the fence and is caught by Teppei ("when there's someone I like..."), some woman (can't remember her name) writing "sayounara" in marker on Soichiro's shirt, Teppei declaring his love for Riko on the outdoor electronic board etc.

Nodame Cantabile

The quirkiness of the story and the characters makes it attractive. I like the music theme too! Also, the lack of a conventional love story sets it apart from other dramas.

Favourite moments/classic scenes: there aren't many standout moments per se but funny, quirky, heartrending ones. My favourite is Chiaki hugging Nodame from behind.

Gokusen

I only mean the first season. The teacher-student relationships are heartwarming but the formula gets kind of repetitive in the next two seasons.

Favourite moments/classic scenes: like Nodame Cantabile there aren't really single moments that hit it for me but a combination of many amusing or touching ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched all these dramas except Love Generation. I'm not very impressed with Gokusen though cuz I thought the line she said whenever she went to save her student: "Who am I? I am their homeroom teacher!" is just too eh... dramatic. But I love Nodame Cantabile and Hana Yori Dango!!! I love all the moments that you listed! <3