Friday, April 25, 2008

Whew! It's been such a busy week, I don't know where to begin. Well, today, a guy who graduated last year from a masters in design spoke to us. The thing about being in a JC (and in Singapore) is that I'm surrounded by people who are pragmatic, and in many cases are concerned about money and financial stability. It's so refreshing to meet this guy who goes with his passion, firmly believes in what he's doing and pushes for it, even if it is commercially inviable. He lacks a proper job despite graduating last year and instead does his own design projects with his studio that he set up with friends to experiment and challenge the notions of design. Even if, from lack of money, he were to die along the streets somewhere (pardon the horrible supposition), he would die happy. And ultimately that's what all of us want in life, isn't it?

After hearing him talk about design, I realised that I don't know very much about it, and indeed, I'm not so sure now that it suits me. I'm inclined towards being a lifestyle writer now, especially travel and fashion. And I so do want to go overseas to study! I've heard people say "What's wrong about going to NUS?" Well, there's nothing wrong as NUS is a perfectly decent and actually a very highly-ranked university but the prospect of it doesn't excite me. It's as simple as that. My mind rebels against boredom and stagnation. By going overseas, I hope to gain new perspectives and experiences. So that's a goal that I'm going to work hard towards achieving.

No comments: