Saturday, February 21, 2009

悲しいほどきれいだね。。。

This is my favourite phrase from the Japanese pop group Arashi's theme song 'Beautiful Days' for the drama Ryusei no Kizuna. Check out the entire soundtrack- it's great! My sis translates this phrase as 'so beautiful it's sad', which is accurate, but somehow I think of it as 'so beautiful it hurts'. I guess sadness has a tactile quality. When something is sad, it creates a dull ache deep inside me. Lately me and my sis have got into Arashi and another band, KAT-TUN. We like to do home karaoke sessions of their songs and watch their music videos and performances.

In this post I'm trying to fathom why I lack the same amount of enthusiasm for Chinese language and culture, which is after all my native culture. I guess it's because I admire the creativity of the Japanese when it comes to many fields of interest like fashion. And there's a certain exoticism about a foreign language no matter how familiar you become with it, that's absent in one's mother tongue. I do have a favourite Chinese novel called '蝉'. I don't even know why I like it, but I've read it many times. I also enjoy a few Chinese songs, usually sad ones.

Sometimes we get so excited about learning the new that we forget the merits of the old.

No comments: